Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Picturing Downtown

While reading about the most recent Buffalo Place versus James the Creamcycle Dude incident on Buffalo Rising the topic that really caught my attention was in the comments. Some people are getting harassed about taking pictures on downtown City streets and other outdoor activities by "security".

Can't take pictures of fireworks on the 4th of July? No pictures of downtown buildings? Seems to me it's a bit paranoid, although of what I'm not sure. I don't quite think prohibiting photography is terribly tourist friendly, or anybody else friendly for that matter.

I can't say that I've been prevented from taking pictures on Main Street, but on one excursion I did notice a security guard somewhat shadowing me, and I had a feeling that the camera was the object of attention. There just didn't happen to be anything photo worthy where I was at that point in time, so I wandered off, not shaking him until I was past the farmers market. Maybe he just thought I was cute :) Right.

Anyway, I've got lots more pictures from the 500-600 block of Main that I'll get on here sometime, but for now I'll leave you with one from the 300 block. While busy hassling people on the street apparently security failed to look up at the graffiti artists decorating the former AM&A's - amazing:

1 comment:

Unknown said...

every time I see see the top of AM&A's, my dyslexia kicks in and I read it as "BEER", which is much better, I do say.

Taggers hit the windows a few weeks ago and since no one has cleaned the tags off, they've multiplied... but now I know how to reach Ike.