Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Concert

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band totally rock! It was my first time seeing the Boss and I wasn't disappointed. I think I have resisted in the past partly because his faithful fans seemed to resemble the followers of the Grateful Dead in their devotion, and I just wasn't there.

The ages of the crowd ranged from those still in the single digits who went with their parents to people who looked to be in their 70's - the young straight through to the young at heart. In fact it came as a bit of a shock to see all those old people out there and realize they're all pretty much the same age as me, and also that of Springsteen and the band.

Always poignant lines from Thunder Road, they mean more as the years go by:
"So you're scared and you're thinking
That maybe we ain't that young anymore...
Personally, I find that a little bit depressing, no matter how truthful it is. Made a bit better by what follows:
Show a little faith there's magic in the night

You ain't a beauty but hey you're alright
Oh and that's alright with me"
Bruce is an inspiration to people everywhere, especially those further along the time line. Heck, he performed for almost 4 hours but yet I was wiped out after just bopping along. Much credit to all of them.

I'll definitely be at the concert the next time Springsteen comes to Buffalo, and I have faith that there will be a next time. After all, he needs the crowds as much as we need him.

3 comments:

Budd Bailey said...

I believe Springsteen shakes his head at the thought that the he wrote the line for Thunder Road about 34 years ago -- when he was 26.

Anonymous said...

Great post by Bud. Bruce and the E-Street Band were AWESOME and it was my first concert too! Another Clarence Grad friend of mine has been a long time follower but I wasn’t a convert until I saw his Barcelona concert in film, then I was hooked. So, it took me years just to take a good look at Bruce’s music and I found a prolific talented man with heart that has never lost touch with everyday life.

Michael said...

An insanely great evening. I'm somewhere in my 30s in terms of how often I've seen him and it has been worth it everytime. Even Clarence Clemons says the retirement talk is unfounded, just a sabbatical.Glad we could take it in together.