Sunday, April 29, 2012

Forest Lawn Wildlife and Still Life

So, continuing on with the subject of Forest Lawn...What?  It's been a few months? Time flies...and so do Canadian geese...While WGRZ has a goose watch cam set up on their site of a goose nesting in a sculpture around Mirror Lake,I've had a few goose run-ins myself, the first being the most memorable.

So there I was, walking briskly and minding my own business, when suddenly to the right of me I hear this loud sound, like a helicopter "whoomphwhoomphwhoompph" and I freak out a bit and end up somehow standing on one leg with my arm around my head, all kind of curled up in a protective stance, like that would have helped.  A guard goose! I yelled at him that he was being rude and tried to walk away, but made the mistake of turning my back..."whoophwhoomphwhoomph"...Geesh!! I backed away after that, keeping an eye on him.

The next day I came back with my camera. I'm prepared.  However, come to find out that as soon as I heard the sound and whipped around, the goose got all casual...well, except for the neck thing...that means he's got an attitude...


...also vocalizes said attitude a bit when he decides to try the in your face intimidation routine....


A step in his direction though, and the casual act returns...until I turned my back....Put it this way...he's fast...but maybe you get the idea...


A few weeks later maybe I finally found the urn he was protecting, and everyone had flown the coop...he did a good job distracting me, that's for sure.


Meanwhile, the past few days have seen eggs hatching all over the place.  I saw at least 5 goose families around and about...



...the ducks just hanging out, watching the festivities...


One time the resident deer accompanied me for quite a while as I was walking about, but I didn't have my camera...rarely do when I see him...

Some wild turkeys were hanging around in the Fall...cars do not impress them...


Also saw a groundhog, then saw his burrow, and finally saw him peeking out...with the zoom on the camera! Not sticking my face that close!




Nearby, some still life...


...somewhat similar, a sphinx is in another section...


...and as long as I'm posting pictures from Forest Lawn, the headstone of Edward Austin Kent, who perished on the Titanic...


....that overlooks Mirror Lake...you know, back where this post started...and ends...




No comments: