Friday, October 30, 2009

The Stolle Mansion

The ghostly trees reach out to one another as they stand sentinel by the driveway...


...which leads to the historic Stolle Mansion, located at 325 Summit Road in Lockport NY.



I started around the far side, circling the building.









Cameras keep watch. Are they there to monitor paranormal phenomena? Or merely to record and report any destructive deeds by the curious? Maybe both...


According to the site of WNY Paranormal Research:
"The Summit Manson of Lockport New York was built in 1834.The mansion sits on top of limestone. 1960 was the last time anyone occupied the mansion .The mansion itself is said to had been safe house for the underground railroad. So far to date there has been no evidence on file to prove the facts of the claims.The mansion was built by Francis Hitchings .The house was also home to many servants whom had their own living area within the mansion.The mansion has been in the Ruhlmann family since the late 1940's.The mansion itself is up for sale for serious buyers."
The group was giving tours of the mansion with the owners permission until the City of Lockport decided to block them.


The reason allegedly has to do with the condition of the mansion...not that it bothered any of the building inspectors previously. Apparently historic buildings can be allowed to rot for eternity as long as no one goes inside...Don't get me started...No guidelines were given either although requested.

So that leads to this sign. Oops. Surely they only meant the inside...


If you want to buy it, here's the number. Don't know if the City would allow you in to inspect it though...


Truthfully, at 10am roaming around on the outside it wasn't all that spooky, but maybe at night...Meanwhile, the trees wait for the next visitors...

11 comments:

Chris Byrd said...

Cool post and pics...

Jill said...

I wish I had known they were giving tours of the place - I would have loved to have gone on one! It looks like they might have them again in April - I'll have to keep an eye out... I see they finally took the scaffolding down...when did that happen? Great post!

kerrylynn said...

I have photos of the inside of the house. It was open this past fall for free tours. We were allowed to roam all through the house completely alone. It is a beautiful home! It is currently on the market but I highly doubt anyone will purchase it, as it needs several hundreds of dollars worth of repair and restoration. I am only 25 but I've always wanted to see the inside of that home, it was like a dream come true! My dad has told me stories of playing in the backyard and using an old carriage there. I have also visited a psychic who had a "paranormal experience" in the home.. if anyone is interested in the photos, I will email!

kerrylynn said...

Also, it was known as "Providence Hill" and was commonly called the Francis Hitchin[g]s Home.

Anonymous said...

I would love to see the inside of this place. I love to see historic buildings and things,I drive by this place everyday on my way to work and I am very curious as to what the inside looks like.

if anyone has inside pictures they can email me at
grumpyforever@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Kerrylynn,
I am considering purchasing the mansion as a future bed & breakfast. If you still have photos of the inside, I would love to see them! Please forward them to everhart.tracy@yahoo.com. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I think it should be restored, it is a part of Lockports hisory, they should do tours to collect money to restore it to the orginal way it was, I have always been courious about the place

cindy kurk-gerspach said...

IF YOU HAD DRIVEN BY LATELY YOU WOULD HAVE SEEN THE WINDOWS BACK IN AND MUCH CLEARING. RESTORATION IS ONGOING WITH THE NATIONAL REGISTER IN SITE. IT IS A PRIVATE HOME ,WE ASK YOU VIEW FROM THE ROAD ONLY. CINDY AND GLEN GERSPACH

Unknown said...

If anyone has photos of Summit house from the previous tours, I would love to see them. Currently planning bike tours of different things in Lockport and this is on a list of research im putting together.... grin@roadrunner.com Thanks if you can help ! Sandy

Unknown said...

If anyone has photos of Summit house from the previous tours, I would love to see them. Currently planning bike tours of different things in Lockport and this is on a list of research im putting together.... grin@roadrunner.com Thanks if you can help ! Sandy

Anonymous said...

Be careful - the new owners have been very aggressive about having references to the house taken off the internet. Actually, I am very surprised that this post is still up. I'm betting that they would not take too kindly people gawking at their house.

I can see that they posted that you can view from the road, but I don't get the feeling that would would welcome tours in front of their place...